Click the link below to go to the Scholarships & Grants page of the UCC website:
The United Church of Christ has scholarships and grants available for a variety of purposes in three broad categories: Ministry Education Scholarships, Program Grants, and Leadership Development Scholarships. In addition to what is listed here, check with the Admissions Office at your educational institution to find out about additional scholarships that may be available.
The United Church of Christ’s Scholarship and Grant award system provides broad support, increased access, and ease of use to a large, diverse pool of qualified candidates. The streamlined Scholarship and Grant award system increases efficiency for applicants, recommenders, and evaluators; establishes consistent practices; improves communication, and strengthens relationships with recipients. Our online Scholarship application process is safe, secure, and user-friendly!
Mailed, hand-delivered, shipped, emailed, and faxed applications, references and transcripts will no longer be accepted or acknowledged. Members in Discernment may apply for the Brown Endowment Scholarship and ONE other UCC Ministry Education Scholarship per year.
Important Dates to Remember:
- All online Scholarship application forms open on December 1 each year and close on March 1 of the following year at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time. Scholarships are processed for use in the fall.
- The online application form for The Genesis Fund, a program grant, opens on December 1 each year and closes on March 15 of the following year at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time.
Applications are not complete until we have received ALL required items within the online application, including transcripts and required recommendations from references. You are fully responsible for ensuring that ALL required items are received by the due date. Applicants are advised to notify their references that they will receive an email request. The email will come from email@example.com. When you submit your application, it will display as “Pending.” Your application will not be “Submitted” until ALL required documents (transcripts, letters of reference, etc.) have been received. You will receive a confirmation email once all requested information has been received and the status of your application has been changed from “Pending” to “Submitted.” It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is complete and marked as “Submitted” by the due date. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Ministry Education Scholarships
Ministry Education Scholarships are available to those preparing for ministry in the United Church of Christ and for continuing education for ministers. In addition to what is listed here, check with the Admissions Office at your educational institution to find out about additional scholarships that may be available.
To qualify for a United Church of Christ Ministry Education Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria unless otherwise stated:
- Membership in a UCC congregation for at least one year at time of application;
- Enrollment in an ATS accredited seminary towards a course of study leading to ordained ministry;
- Member-in-discernment of an Association or Conference at time of application;
- At least a “B” average maintained; (With the exception of The Rev. Virginia Kreyer Scholarship where a lower GPA will be accepted)
- Agrees to serve in the UCC or a partner church on completion of seminary;
- Demonstrates leadership ability through participation in local church, Association, Conference, or academic environment.
- Members in Discernment may apply for the Brown Endowment Scholarship and ONE other UCC Ministry Education Scholarship per year.
The UCC provides a wealth of scholarships. They are worthy of your donations, as they ensure the future of our church. If a scholarship does not exist that speaks to your passion, and you wish to create a scholarship fund or contribute in other ways, please contact our philanthropy professionals. View our Gift Acceptance Policy.