ST. JOHN’S UCC ~ Lansdale is in the process of choosing a new Senior Pastor. This webpage provides current information on that process and search.
As part of the process of selecting our new Senior Pastor, a Visioning Team is selected from the congregation to envision the future needs of our church and congregation in order to attract and select a candidate to fit our needs.
Members of the Visioning Core team are:
– Dale Davis – Mark Bruen – Grace Bruen – Zack Eliasz
– Susan Fitzpatrick – Amy Faga – Sally Atkiss – Don Atkiss
– Bill Leslie – Janet Morton – Sumiko Booream
– Jessica Carson – Liz Rivett
Four Quadrants of Visioning
- Worship and Faith Formation (Leitourgia-public worship or work of the people) The focus here is on what shape or shapes might worship take for a forward looking congregation. How might various types of worship meet the needs of those who want a more intimate way to connect their faith to everyday life, and how might those attending worship find new ways to contribute beyond singing or responding to liturgy? What would spiritual growth and development look like across ages and generations? Are there new approaches to adult education, confirmation, and faith formation for children and youth to envisioned?
- (Psalmoi-music) Not only has music had a strong legacy at St. John’s, but is there an opportunity to expand music ministry beyond the congregation through partnerships within the community, area colleges, and various collaborators? Could St. John’s create a “farm system,” a way to mentor and grow talent toward various choirs and beyond at St. John’s?
- (Diakonia-service or support) Not only does outreach entail supporting agencies and organizations financially, but what would the developing of close relationships with these agencies and organizations look like? How could St. John’s be in relationships with local government and community leaders to learn about the needs and opportunities for mission? Could mission trips serve to grow ourselves spiritually and at the same time attract those who “want to make a difference?”
- Fellowship and Care. (Koinonia-community or fellowship) Are there ways to create new niches for groups to form as a way to discover care, support, to learn and experience joy? Could groups that might hike, or bike, or bake, come together in a whole new way to worship, celebrate, and support one another? Could seniors develop a ministry of “caring connection” in which visitors were also supported, equipped, and celebrated?
Mark Bruen presented this information above to the congregation on March 12, 2023. The SOAR (Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations, Results) process will be used to facilitate the discussion with the congregation.
Background of our Search for a new Senior Pastor: June 12, 2022 was the last Sunday before the retirement of the Rev. Dr. Susan C. Bertolette, who served St. John’s UCC as Associate Pastor, Co-Pastor & Senior Pastor for 42 years. Sadly, Rev. Sue passed away in August, 2022. We now have an Interim Senior Pastor at St. John’s, Rev. Dale Davis, who will serve with our permanent Associate Pastor, Rev. Adelaide Stong, until a new settled (permanent) Senior Pastor is chosen and installed.
If you have any ideas you would like to present, please contact any of the Visioning Team members, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to gather your input.
The information below was provided by our Pastoral Search Committee. We will update this page as the search committee releases new information during the search process.